X Visa for India: Grant, extension and permissible activities

Jun 09

We have provided information on the X Visa for India in our past articles. Ministry of Home Affairs, Foreigners Division, New Delhi has provided more specific information regarding grant and extension of X visa in India. The X visas are meant to be used only within the guidelines of prescribed by Ministry of Home Affairs, Foreigners Division, New Delhi and no employment and business activity is permitted on X visas.

Here is the official text related to X visas in India:

As per the extant instructions of the Government of India, an Entry (X) Visa can only be granted to the following persons:-

(a) A foreigner of Indian origin, who wishes to come to India for visiting relatives, holiday etc.

(b) Spouse and children of a foreigner of Indian origin

(c) Spouse / dependents of foreigners coming to India on any other type of valid visa like Student/Business/Employment/Research etc.

Duration of Extension of (X) Visa

Missions/Posts abroad can grant an Entry (‘X’) for a period of five years at a time, with multiple entry facility, subject to usual checks to persons of Indian Origin. The extension of the stay of persons at (a) and (b) above may be granted by the State Government/Union Territory Administration/FRRO concerned subject to the following conditions:-

(I) The initial validity of the Residential Permit shall not exceed one year which may be extended on year to year basis upto 5 years from the date of issue of visa, if further extension is required, the proposal may be referred to MHA for clearance. MHA would grant extension for one year after the expiry of the initial period of five years. Subsequent extensions, if any, upto a total period of another 5 years would be granted by the State Governments/ UTs /FRROs concerned.

(II) The foreigner shall not engage in business or employment or any activity which is not in accordance with the type of visa held by him/her

(III) Name of the foreigner shall not figure in any Ration card and/or Electoral Rolls

(IV) Passport/Residence Permit of the foreigner to be stamped. “Business/employment not permitted on XV

A foreigner of Indian Origin means:-

1. a person who at any time held an Indian passport; or

2. a person who or either of his/her parents or grand parents or great grandparents, was born in, and was permanently resident in India, provided neither was at any time a citizen of Afghanistan, Bangladesh, China, Pakistan or Sri Lanka or any other country that may be specified by the Government of India from time to time; or

3. a person who is the spouse of a citizen of India or a person of Indian origin covered under (1) and (2) above.

Frequently asked questions with regard to the above type of visa an
d replies thereto are outlined below for information:-

Q.1. What activities are permissible on Entry (‘X’) visa ?

Ans.: Study upto the 12th Standard by minor, dependent children of Indian Origin can be undertaken. Holder of ‘X’ visa cannot undertake business/economic activities.

Q.2. Can a person holding Entry ‘X’ visa indulge in Business activities?

Ans.: No. Business is not permitted on X visa.

Q.3. Can a person holding Entry ‘X’ visa accept employment ?

Ans.: No. Employment is not permitted on X visa.

Q.4. Can Entry ‘X’ visa be granted to foreigner parents of foreign nationals studying in India?

Ans.: No. Parents of foreign students can visit India on Tourist (‘T’) visa for short duration (upto 6 months).

Q. 5. Which type of visa to be given to foreigner spouse of India Nationals ?

Ans.: Entry (X) visa.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *